I decided to go with cardboard, mixed media, & wire for the buildings to give them dimension, a ratty look, & a less precise look than the figures (that will eventually line the street), & the building at the end of the street.
To begin with, I sketched out a rough outline on the cardboard, glued another layer of cardboard behind the first, & then cut the shape out w/ my jig saw. I then used ink, water color, chalk, & water soluable oil pastels to give the buildings their look. Here's the rubber stamp I made to create a brick-like pattern for the facades of the buildings. Although, after the water soaked into the cardboard, the internal structure of the carboard actually gave a brick-like appearance to the surface-nice surprise!! :) I also used some old wire to accentuate the windows.
So still a lot of work to do, but I LOVE the way these first tests are coming out!! (Here's a pic of the finished buildings together)